Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Summertime!!


Summer has begun in our house and our schedules have been turned upside-down.  This week the girls are going to Vacation Bible School with their cousins in Orange.  So far it has been good but it is a drive in the AM and Jill and I have been juggling our work schedules to make it happen.  The girls have been singing the songs and loving their time at VBS.  Next week all the girls will be at VBS in Long Beach so the fun continues.  The girls also started swim lessons today.  This is their second year in swim lessons and they did not miss a beat.  Our oldest was back at it floating on her back and jumping in the water.  Our youngest was simply a fish...she was awesome and jumped in from the side on multiple occasions.  We hope that by the end of the summer they will both be able to take some breaths and make it to the side of the pool without help.

With the end of the school year came a great surprise for me.  When we picked up the girls last week we received a portfolio of the girls work for the year.  It was a blast seeing the difference between what they did back in September compared to what they can do today.  One thing that was neat to me was a sheet called "all about me".  I found it fascinating how things have changed.   Here is what our youngest said back in September:

Where do I live? (no answer)
My family is...mommy
My favorite animal is...a giraffe
My favorite food is...pizza
My favorite toy is... (no answer)

Here is what she said at the end of May:

Where do I live? A red house (well our door is red)
My family is... mommy, daddy, nanna, sister
My favorite animal is...an elephant
My favorite food is...bananas
My favorite toy is...cars

But the thing the really amazed me was her measurements.  In September our youngest weighed 31 lbs and was 2 feet 3 inches.  In May she weighed 36 lbs and was 3 feet tall.  She grew NINE inches in one school year!!!! I knew she was growing but that is amazing.

Our oldest also had an "All About Me" page and here are her answers from September.  It is a bit different because she had a different teacher.

My favorite color is...Red.
I like to eat...chicken nuggets
My favorite toy is...colors
My favorite story is...Mulan
I like to play...Teddy Bears
I like to wear...a skirt
When I am at school I like to...play on the swing
When I am at home I like to...play with toys

For those of you who know our oldest you can see that there are a few differences in this list today.  Our oldest is not shy in telling you that her favorite color is most definitely blue, her favorite food is just about anything but she loves fruit, she still loves to color.  Her favorite story is anything from Veggie Tales.  She likes to play Barbies and still loves skirts.  She loves to swing and at home she likes to sing and play with the housekeeping corner.

Well if you know me, you know that I like to keep stuff.  I have a few boxes of treasures in the garage and in a few minutes the girls preschool portfolios will be added to the collection.  I can't wait to pull them out in a few years and reminisce.  Talk to you next week, until then....

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Keeping stuff...I think the girls need their own box to house their keepsakes. So cool to read about the "about me" info and see how the beauties have changed. Gosh I love 'em. 36 lbs now, so close to 40. Non-buckled seats, here we come!

 Every once in a while I like to jump over here to this old blog and relive old times.  It is fun to look back at the days before there were...