Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Kickball League!!!


Ahhh the beautiful sport of kickball!! I have fond memories of this most wonderful of recess activities. Now some of my memories are not that great. I was usually the last one picked on a team and I had my share of the ole swing-and-a-miss-and-fall-on-your-butt moments. Kickball was king for me. There were some other competitors out there...dodgeball, teatherball, four-square, handball and the blacksheep...... butts-up. But my heart was taken by kickball. You knew it was your day when Peter Geisler was on your team. He was the biggest kid in 2nd grade. He was the best athlete, had all the girls etc. You know the type. Handsome, strong, always had a twinkie in his lunch and generally envied by all. Then there was me: the hand-me-down wearin', long hair havin', carrots in the lunch bringin', preachers kid. I think thats about four strikes. But I loved kickball. Fast forward to 2005. I just found one of the most amazing organizations in the world. It is the World Adult Kickball Association. I am not kidding. They organize kickball leagues all across the Untied States and the world. They even have a world championship every year. They call themselves a social-athletic organization. This is from their website:

WAKA is the World Adult Kickball Association - a social-athletic organization created to advance the joy of kickball around the world. WAKA's mission statement says it all - To provide a unique club with an inclusive co-ed social culture and establish the WAKA Kickball experience as the New American Pastime!

How awesome is that!!! Well needless to say I would like to start a team at church and join a league. I hope for next spring or fall. I am not sure which is more important the social or the athletic. Each league goes out to a bar after the games to knock a few back. This sounds like my kind of organization. Let me know if you want to be on our team. I will need at least four guys and four gals to make a team. We can have up to 26. ARE YOU WITH ME!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I didn't live so far away, I'd totally join up!

 Every once in a while I like to jump over here to this old blog and relive old times.  It is fun to look back at the days before there were...