Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Dentist


I do NOT like the dentist!!  I have had a few very bad experiences in the past with the good folks who spend their days with their fingers in other peoples mouths.  When I was in high school I had a procedure that hurt so bad I didn't go back to the dentist for about 12 years.  Some of you might be saying "EeeGads, really?  Twelve  years?  Your teeth must have been a mess!"  Well sorry to say, they were fine.  No cavities, no problems nothing, just a good cleaning, the admonishment for not flossing and a check up card for six months, which I promptly forgot about and waited another few years before having to go back because of my wisdom teeth.  Now I do not have time to tell that story but let me tell you, it is a doozie.  The short version is, only a local pain killer and four hours later I stumbled out of the office.  NOT FUN.  

So my oldest had to go for her first trip to the dentist and the guy at the appointment center asked me, "So what about you?  When can I schedule you in for a check up?"  I almost said, "No thanks, I'm good." But something inside said, "O.K., how about next week?"  So today was the day.  I got there at 1:30 for a 2:00 appointment knowing I would have some paperwork and was seen promptly at 2:00.  Twenty-two x-rays later the dentist poked around and said he wanted some more detail of tooth #14 (left side, top, near the back).  Four more x-rays and he dropped the bomb.  "Well, I think you need a root canal."  "WHAT?!?!?  I was just here for a check-up and some fluoride and a chastisement for not flossing.  This is not what I was expecting."  My heart began to race and then it got worse... "I can get you in today."  I sighed, and relented, three hours later and after six more x-rays I walked out of the office not being able to feel one side of my mouth and freaked out a bit because I peaked at some of the tools that were going into my mouth, not to mention the cost after insurance (NOT CHEAP!!) 
 
So here I sit, hopped up on Vicodin, and dreading going to sleep.  I even have to go back in a week and a half to get a permanent crown.  Well, I hope the worst is over, and it is probably for the better that it was done now and not later.  So, the dental profession is still on my bad list but at least I have my teeth.  Talk to you next week...

1 comment:

Von Trapp said...

OMG... I can feel your pain, literally and financially.

As for the dentist - Nothing's cheap, nothing's pain free, and everyone working there likes to smile at you.

What's wrong with this picture? Everything!

 Every once in a while I like to jump over here to this old blog and relive old times.  It is fun to look back at the days before there were...